Hello Trendsetters, we’ve entered into the second month of the year and before we know it, Summer will be here!! I wanted to share a few of my favorite healthy recipes for the Trendsetters that are working on their Summer bods now! Eating healthy food doesn’t have to be bland and boring, check out these yummy recipes!
This recipe came about because in my house I had a surplus of both salmon and sweet potatoes. They are my two absolute favorite foods and I created salmon and sweet potato cakes, it’s like a crab cake…but with salmon and sweet potatoes. I, of course, had to come up with a dipping sauce for these yummy cakes! This recipe calls for the following:
Salmon Sweet Potato Cakes:
- 12 oz of wild caught salmon – cooked
- 2-3 medium to large sweet potatoes – cooked and peeled
- seafood seasoning – optional: I used Old Bay
- 2 Tbsp of Dill
- 1/3c Chopped Green Onions
- 1/2c of Plain Greek Yogurt
- 1 Tbsp of Dill
- 2 Tbsp of Hot Sauce – I use Frank’s Buffalo Sauce
- In a skillet, over medium heat, warm up olive oil or coconut (I use whatever I have handy)
- combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl
- Scoop batter with a 1/3 measuring cup. Form into a ball with your hands, then flatten into a patty
- TIP: dampen hands before working with batter
- Cook both sides of the patty for 3-5 minutes until its lightly browned
- Last, place finished patties onto a plate lined with paper towels to remove any excess oil
- Serve with sauce and enjoy!
This next recipe was created by me when I am running low on cash and this meal costs less than $15 to make, so it’s perfect for my college readers out there! When money is tight, instead of the chicken I use the mexican style tuna fish packets because they cost $1 and some change per packet! I know, it doesn’t sound too appetizing at all, but I promise it’s really good and protein packed! Just one step closer to getting our summer bods!
Chicken (or Tuna) Pita Wrap
- 6 oz of Chicken
- Fajita mix
- Whole Wheat Pita Bread
- Black Bean Jalapeno Hummus (or original)
- Corn Salsa
- In a skillet, over medium heat, warm up coconut or olive oil and cook chicken with fajita mix – cook chicken thoroughly
- Soften the pita bread by placing in the microwave for 10-15 seconds or in a skillet over low heat until warmed
- Place pita flat, smother an even layer of hummus, add chicken and finishing by adding the other toppings
The next recipe comes from me also being a cheapskate and wanting to spend my money on clothes instead of food, but I learned you can still do both. This next recipe is healthy but doesn’t completely break the bank! It’s chicken avocado salad and it’s ahhhhhhhmazing!!
Chicken Avocado Salad:
- 2-3 boneless, skinless, chicken breasts – cooked and chopped
- 1 Avocado
- 1/4 c chopped red onion
- Juice from 1/2 lime
- 2 Tbsp of cilantro
- Salt and pepper for taste
- Combine avocado, onions, lime juice, cilantro, salt and pepper.
- Make sure avocados are completely mashed
- Add chopped chicken to the combination
- Enjoy with pita, wraps, toast or your favorite bread!
- Make sure to refrigerate leftovers, should be eaten within 3 days of the preparation date.
Thanks for checking out some of my quick and easy healthy meals! If you decide to give them a try, leave a comment below and tell me what you think!
Featured Image via www.awakentheabswithin.com/a-healthy-lean-nutrition-plan-for-you/