Longevity is a measuring stick for style. Wayfarer sunglasses have been shading men and women’s eyes while watching that measuring stick grow for decades. Their classic style – a bit thicker version of the aviator sunglass – has found its way onto faces since the 1950s. Their distinct, soft trapezoidal frame sets them apart from many other styles that try to imitate their widespread appeal. They have been around for decades, and they are here to stay.
A large reason for this is due to the Wayfarer’s unisex design. Women and men alike are universally drawn to their distinct shape and flattering design. From the formal setting to everyday casual wear, wayfarers are found on the faces of children, adults, celebrities, and anyone wanting to bring a little flair into their lives. If you are interested in designer Wayfarer sunglasses, here are some tips on which styles might be right for you.
Wayfarer Sunglasses for Women
Wayfarer sunglasses for women can be a great alternative to cat-eye sunglasses. Unlike the rounded shape of the cat-eye, wayfarers have a more horizontal, angled long brow frame. Some of the most iconic leading ladies have worn them, including Audrey Hepburn, Marilyn Monroe, and Madonna.
With that kind of star power behind this style, you might wonder if you can successfully pull off the look. The short answer is a resounding yes. But before you rush out and buy a pair of designer sunglasses for women, take a look at these tips based on your face shape that will help you determine the style of Wayfarer you should search for.
- If you have a square face, gently curved frames tend to be best.
- Classic Wayfarers with a curved frame are ideal for diamond-shaped faces.
- For round faces, a straight and square Wayfarer would be desirable. Make sure they are wide to make your cheekbones appear slimmer.
- If you have a triangular face, look for Wayfarers with a detailed top brow rim to avert attention away from the jaw.
- Wayfarers that cover much of the center of the face to help shorten its appearance are perfect for ladies with an oblong face.
- Women with an oval face can wear nearly any Wayfarers, but make sure that they are sized appropriately for your individual face.
One other item to note: traditional Wayfarers are traditionally black or tortoiseshell, though new colors are also available. Neutral tones will go with more outfits, so try to stick with something traditional unless you truly want to set yourself apart.
Wayfarer Sunglasses for Men
Just as famous women have donned Wayfarers, men like Martin Luther King Jr, John F. Kennedy, and Bob Dylan have helped to made them desirable among men around the world. With the resurgence of vintage styles, there has been a rise in manufacturers making Wayfarer sunglasses for men. Many attribute this boom to Ray-Ban sunglasses. The Ray-Ban Wayfarer was one of the first to adapt modern technologies to the classic look and make them appealing to men today. Ray-Ban glasses are great, but check out these tips for purchasing your own pair of designer men’s sunglasses, even if they aren’t Ray-Ban.
- Men with a square-shaped face should look for frames that have a mildly curved frame. This will help to soften the rigidness that some frames might have.
- Wayfarers with a particularly angled shape would be better for men with a round face. This helps to slim the features of your face and create the illusion that your face is longer.
- For those of you with a diamond-shaped head, classic Wayfarers are the way to go. When the original design of the Wayfarer hit the market, they were most likely designed for men with this face shape.
- If you have an oval face, you will want to find Wayfarers that have a bulkier set of features. This will help to fill out your face and make it appear shorter than it is.
No matter the occasion, Wayfarers can find a way to help you fit in when worn properly. These suggestions will help you look as iconic as the people who made them famous.